Saturday, January 10, 2009

Football,Basketball, and Baseball-Ironically, I have no athletic talent

Well..BIG PROPS to the UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA GATORS!!! Football National Champs! While I would have loved a game that looked a little more like the Thanksgiving rout of The Florida State Seminoles (sorry, Matt, Shelly, Lucas, Joe, and Liz), I am so proud of the Gators! And, to do it in Florida-AWESOME! While I didn't get to attend because of obligations in Tallahassee, many of my friends did! It looked like so much fun! Keeping in the athletic theme for the week, I attended my first collegiate basketball game (I attended UF during the NIT years). Although the 'Noles lost to Duke, it was super fun to watch. Coach K is amazing! Next up, baseball season is around the corner. Nothing gets better than listening the crack of the bat and catching some beautiful Florida sun in the springtime!

It's been a relatively uneventful adoption week-that's how we measure time. While I can't speak to other prospective adoptive parents, I can share that we measure time in parallel universes. There is our "regular" time and lives- work, class, errands, and life. And, then we have an adoption clock. It's not regulated per se -it's not measured in seconds, minutes, or days. It's measured in events. So far, this week, nothing. We are just hanging out in the stack. Our paperwork hangs in a folder of a cabinet in our social worker's office. We have signed up for a required parenting class for state adoptions so hopefully we will get a seat in the April class (the next one offered).

However, we do have a question for adoptive parents who have blazed the trail before us...At what point do we start collecting baby stuff? You know..the crib, the sheets, all the "stuff"? On one hand we feel like we are "jinxing" it by starting to get things now. On the other, it is one way we can feel like we have some measure of "control." And, I am slowly realizing, there is A LOT of stuff to get!

No comments: