Friday, January 23, 2009

Week #42 on "adoption island"

In some ways, I do feel like we are on an island hanging out waiting to be "found" by a birth parent. And, then in some ways I think of the tv show, S*rvivor, isn't the slogan "outwit, outlast, ..."? I have never watched the show, but I remember it being a theme of a conference I attended for middle schol teachers. Yes, THAT metaphor is RICH!

Just a random thought...One thing that has kind of percolated to the top of my mind lately is the notion that some people perceive adoptive children aren't "real" children who parents love just as much as biological children. I was reading a gossip page and noticed that repeatedly people chose to qualify adoptive children as "adopted" when discussing specific children. That makes me so sad! Parenting isn't about childbirth - although that is a beautiful component to it. It's about love and laughter and relationships. I feel so blessed that our families and friends do not perceive our potential child as less than a biological child and everyone is super excited for us.

Travel for work has picked back up so I am traveling at least 2 days a week again. It doesn't look like I will get a break from it until March. One of the lessons I have learned is that when you travel for work your week flies by! I completely FORGOT a homework assignment due this evening! Oops. Of course, I scrambled and got a rough draft in before the deadline, but whew! it was close. Definitely need to figure out how to be organized before we are matched! Hope everyone is staying warm!

No comments: