Friday, January 30, 2009

No adoption news, but I love Faceb**k!

Hello dear blog lurkers! Nothing on the adoption front; although one of my awesome work colleagues may help us extend our network of contacts by making some introductions for us-feel free to do so as well =) . Interestingly, kinda like the movie Juno (but really the only thing that is consistent), is that there is a component to domestic adoption that hinges on us 'getting the word out' like the Pennysaver ad.

With that being said, we are so at peace with the fact that the child or children meant for us will be in our family sooner or later. Adoption makes you think about the extent to which children are "meant" to be in families. When the birthmother who was considering an adoption plan decided to parent her child in December the resounding chorus was "well it wasn't meant to be." And, if a PAP didn't believe that at our core, then these kinds of speed bumps would be more profound. In the meantime, we keep busy. Have you discovered the "deliciousness" that is social networking sites! OMG! Four years ago they didn't exist- and now, I am so excited to track people down. So many people come in and out of our lives and this tool is amazing to help us stay connected. Time has a way of passing (15 years fly by)!

Earlier this month there was a glimmer of hope that my preliminary exams for my dissertation might occur in the fall. Newest word is that I won't be able to sit for them until next winter. *sigh* Now that I have my dissertation topic I really am excited to collect rich data and get down to business. I won't be able to do that until my chair signs off on my program of study, my remaining courses, and my passage of my exams. Based on some conversations this month, that data collection probably won't be able to occur until next February. However, if I drop down to the Ed.D route, I can start this summer. Oh, to be patient. Clearly a recurring theme in my world these days.

Oh, funny haha...our social worker told us that we should probably get a baby doll that makes "baby" noises so that our dogs get used to the idea of something that shape and size. And, when we are selected by a birthmother, we will totally do that. But, really, now? Unlike my ability to be consistent with my teachers and my students, my discipline of the dogs might be considered "needing improvement." Not only that, our puppos are not the "sharpest tools in the shed." Like every DINK couple, our dogs have toys..lots of them. In fact some of them look like ducks, geese, raccoons, squirrels. You know- cute, furry, and squeeky. Well, we have a large wooded backyard. In fact, I lovingly refer to it as "wild kingdom." [Stay with me.] So, Duke sees an animal that looks like his toys and- because he is so "play focused" has - on more than one occasion chased them out of the yard. Making the connection yet? Can you imagine Duke seeing the "baby" and confusing the fake baby and the real baby? Um..rrrrrriiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhhtttttttttt. I am pretty sure the real baby won't be able to get away from him like the various squirrels, fox, raccoons, turkeys, hawks, etc can. I think I will wait to hit the toy store.

No comments: